Converting PDF to Google Excel Sheets is the process of converting the PDF file into the G-Sheet. Usually, you might receive the scanned copy of the dataset in a PDF file which needs to be operated in Google Sheet. Unfortunately, G-Suite doesn’t provide us with the option where we can convert the PDF into Google Spreadsheet. However, there are various methods with the help of which you can simply pull data from PDF to Google Sheet which are explained on this page.
Also, don’t miss out to check our article Google Sheet tips and tricks which helps you to save a lot of time while working of Google Sheets.
Table of Contents
How to Convert PDF to Google Sheets?
There are multiple methods through which you can easily convert PDF form to Google Sheets which are explained below.
Converting PDF to Google Sheets by using Google Docs
To convert the following PDF dataset into Google Sheets, we can make use of Google Docs by following the steps listed below:
- Step 1: Open your Google Drive and upload the PDF file which needs to be converted into Google Sheets.
- Step 2: Now select the file and open the file with Google Docs.
- Step 3: Here copy the data which needs to be pasted into Google Sheets. Right-click and copy or you can also the keyboard short “Cntrl+C” to copy the data.
- Step 4: Now move to the Google Spreadsheet where you would like to paste the data.
- Step 5: Select the cell and Right click to paste the data. You can also use the keyword shortcut “Cntrl+V” to paste the data.
Converting PDF to CSV Then Converting into Google Sheets
This method is a bit complicated. However, to convert the PDF file to Google Sheets, let’s convert the file into a CSV file and then convert th CSV file into the Google Sheets by following the steps listed below:
- Step 1: Open Google Drive and upload the PDF file.
- Step 2: Now click on the PDF file and open the file with Google Docs.
- Step 3: Now the PDF file will be opened in Google Docs. Here click on the file and move to the download section.
- Step 4: If the contents of the tables are in plaintext, you must convert them to a comma-separated format. Notice how each cell’s contents are separated by a space. We should take advantage of this and replace all spaces with commas.
- Step 5: Open the Find and Replace Dialog box, press CTRL+H. Type a space character in the input box next to Find (simply by pressing the space bar on the keyboard). Type a comma character ‘,’ in the Replace with an input box. Substitute a comma for space.
- Step 6: Select “Plant Text File (.txt)“.
- Step 7: The file will be downloaded into a plain text file.
- Step 8: Now the file will be downloaded in Notepad format. Now open the file in Notepad and save the file as .csv.
- Step 9: Now open the Google Spreadsheet and click on the file.
- Step 10: Click on “Import“.
- Step 11: Move to the “Upload” section and upload the CSV file into the device.
- Step 12: The CSV file will be now opened into the Google Sheets.
Using Online Tools to Convert PDF to Google Sheets
One of the best ways to convert the PDF files to Google Sheet is to convert the PDF file into an Excel sheet. The steps to convert the PDF file to an Excel file and then into the Google Sheet is given below.
- Step 1: Go to the Google search box and type PDF to Excel.
- Step 2: Now convert the PDF file into the Excel File.
- Step 3: Open the Google Spreadsheet and click on “File“.
- Step 4: Select Import and move to the upload section.
- Step 5: Now upload the converted Excel file.
- Step 6: You will see the dataset converted from a PDF file to Excel in Google Sheet.
Converting PDF to Google Sheet using Google Workspace Marketplace
This is the easiest method to convert the PDF to Google Sheet. Follow the steps as listed below to convert the PDF to Google Sheet using Google Workspace Marketplace:
- Step 1: Open the PDF file in Google Drive.
- Step 2: Click on the “Open With” option and select “Connect more apps“.
- Step 3: You will be directed to Google Workspace Marketplace. Here in the search bar type “pdf table extractor“.
- Step 4: Now select the “PDF Table ExtractorApp” from options and install it.
- Step 5: Now click “Continue“.
- Step 6: After that, you’ll be requested to confirm whether or not you want PDF Extractor to add itself to Google Drive. Click on “Allow“
- Step 7: If you want to access and manage Google Drive files and folders that you’ve opened or created with this app, you’ll be asked to agree. Click on “Allow” once again.
- Step 8: Click on “Allow” once again. The notice ‘PDF Tables Extractor has been connected‘ should now appear at the bottom left of the browser window.
- Step 9: Now open the PDF file in drive and select open with as “PDF Table Extractor“. Now select Open file from Google Drive.
- Step 10: Select the file from the drive and wait until the file loads.
- Step 11: Once the processing is completed. Copy the table and paste it into Google Sheets as shown below.