Strikethrough function is one of the important features which we widely use in the text editors such as Google Docs, MS Words and so on. Using the Strikethrough in Google Sheets will help us to format the required text by adding a line in the middle of the text.
Suppose if you have a list of to-do tasks and if you want to strike one after the other once the task is done, you can make use of the Strikethrough feature. On this page, we have provided how to use the Strikethrough function in Google Sheets along with important Google Sheet Tips and Shortcuts. Read on to find out more.
How do you Strikethrough Text in Google Sheets?
Strikethrough Using Keyboard Shortcuts
One can Strikethrough the cell in Google Sheet with the keyboard shortcuts by following the steps listed below.
- Step 1: Select the cell where you would like to apply the Strikethrough function.
- Step 2: Now hold the “ALT+SHIFT” button and Press 5.
You will see the selected cells with the Strikethrough function as shown below.
- Jump To Cell Range in Google Sheets – How To Jump To Specific Cell Range in Google Sheets?
- How To Insert Indents in Google Sheets? – Know How to Tab Down in Google Sheets
- How to Extract the Year from Google Sheets-YEAR Function in Google Sheets
Strikethrough function shortcuts in various devices:
Strikethrough Using Google Sheets Toolbar
This is the easiest method of all. Follow the steps listed below to Strikethrough the cell with the help of a toolbar from Google Sheet:
- Step 1: Select the cell to which you want to apply the Strikethrough function.
- Step 2: Click on the Strikethrough function from the toolbar as shown below.
You will see the results as shown above.
Strikethrough the Cell Using Menu Options
Striking through the text in a particular cell using menu options is a bit long method. Follow the steps given below to draw a line in between the text in Google Sheets.
- Step 1: Select the cells.
- Step 2: Click on the “Format” option.
- Step 3: Select “Strikethrough” from the drop-down menu.
You will see the results as shown below.
Google Sheets Strikethrough If Checkbox
We can use the Strikethrough feature as a checkbox when a certain task or work is completed. Consider the following dataset, where we have listed out the list of to-do tasks. Now we want the text to be striked out as soon each stage of the task is completed. Let’s understand how to do this with the help of the steps given below:
- Step 1: Select the cell range.
- Step 2: Click on the “Format” option and select “Conditional Formatting” from the drop-down menu.
- Step 3: Now in the “Conditional Formatting” pane, click on the “Add new rule“.
- Step 4: Select “Custom formula is” from the “Format rules“.
- Step 5: Now type the formula as =B2=“Completed” and select the “Strikethrough” option as shown below.
- Step 6: Click on “Done“.
Now you will see the results as and when you update Completed in the B cell.
How to apply Strikethrough Function to Particular Text in Cell?
When you apply the Strikethrough Function to a cell, the entire text inside the text will be striked out. However, you want to strike only particular text inside the cell, then follow the steps listed below.
- Step 1: Select the cell where you want to apply the Strikethrough Function.
- Step 2: Now double click the cell or press F2.
- Step 3: Now you will be able to edit the text inside the cell. Here select the text which would like to strikeout.
- Step 4: Click on the Strikethrough function from the menu or toolbar. The selected text will be striked out.
How to Remove Strikethrough Function in Google Sheets?
In some instances, we might accidentally apply the Strikethrough function or there will be a need where we should remove the Strikethrough functions. To remove the Strikethrough functions, follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Select the cell where you have already applied the Strikethrough function.
- Step 2: Click on the “Strikethrough” function from the toolbar.
The Strikethrough function which was applied will be removed now.
How do I Undo Strikethrough in Google Sheets for Entire Sheet?
If you want to remove the Strikethrough function which has been applied in the entire Google Spreadsheet, just select the Grey rectangle box as given below and hit the Strikethrough button in the toolbar. The Strikethrough function which was applied earlier for the entire sheet will be removed.