Google Sheet Spell Check: With the new Spell Check function in Google Sheets, you can say goodbye to spelling mistakes. Yes, you heard it correctly. When we are working with a huge dataset, we might tend to enter wrong spellings. However, with the help of the Google Sheets Spelling feature, we will be able to find the list of spellings that are entered incorrectly and correct them. So, let’s understand how to do the spell check and correct them with the help of Google Sheet tips provided on this page. Read on to find more.
Read Also: Java Program to Check if a Given Number is Fibonacci Number or Not
Table of Contents
How to Spell Check in Google Sheets?
Follow the steps as listed below to use the Spell check in Google Sheets:
- Step 1: Open the Google Spreadsheet where you would like to perform the Spell Check operation.
- Step 2: Now move to the Toolbar and click on the “Tools“.
- Step 3: From the drop-down, select “Spelling“.
- Step 4: Now from the Spelling drop-down menu, select “Spell Check“.
- Step 5: Spell check is now active in your Google Sheets, and you can see it as a separate dialogue box in the upper right corner.
- Step 6: Now you will have 3 options, where you can either accept, change or add the spellings of misspelled words to the dictionary. With the help of these options, you can change the spellings.
Understanding Spell Check Options in Google Sheets
The following choices are available in the Spell Check dialogue box in the Google Sheets:
- Change: The highlighted misspelled words should be changed. If this term appears more than once, you can check all instances and correct them by clicking the Change All button.
- Ignore: Don’t pay any attention to the adjustment that has been suggested. In the event that a name or item is indicated as misspelled, you have the option of ignoring that item or name. It’s possible to select to ignore all instances if there is more than one. Just click on Ignore All.
- Add to Dictionary: To prevent future misspellings of a word, click on the “Add to Dictionary” button. It will add the text to the dictionary.
As long as it identifies misspelled words, the spell check continues to run. The cross at the top-right corner can be used to close it.
- How to Create a Drop Down List in Google Sheets: Add/Remove/Customize Drop Down Menu
- How to Insert Timestamp in Google Sheets: 3 Easy Methods
- How to Convert PDF to Google Sheets: Free Online Conversion
Spell Check using Keyboard Shortcuts in Google Sheets
With the help of Keyboard shortcuts, we can easily enable the Spell check in Google Sheets. The steps to use the spell check using keyboard shortcuts are listed below:
- Step 1: Firstly, we need to enable the Keyboard Shorcuts in Google Sheets. For this open the spreadsheet and click on the “Help” button.
- Step 2: Now select “Keyboard Shortcuts” from the drop-down menu.
- Step 3: Keyboard Shortcuts window will open on the screen. Now check the “‘Enable compatible spreadsheet shortcuts” box.
- Step 4: Once you have enabled this button, just click on F7 on your computer or device.
- Step 5: This will run the Spell Check on Google Sheets and show the suggestions. With the help of the options, you can change the spellings on the Google Sheets.