Google Spreadsheets is a great collaboration tool that stores everything we do. It maintains a detailed version history of who made the changes, what changes were made, and when the changes were made. Also, we can restore the version history in Google Spreadsheets if we want to move to the earlier version. On this page, let us understand everything about how to check version history in Google Sheets using the Sheets Tips provided on this page. Read further to find more information.
Table of Contents
What is Version History in Google Sheets?
Google Sheets uses a feature called version history to store any change you make to your document.
For instance, you may have retained numerous drafts of your files in the past in case you wanted to refer to or switch to earlier versions. All of your drafts are saved in one file on Google Drive. Earlier versions can be readily seen or restored with this feature.
To access the version history in Google Sheets, you will have to have at least more than one edit in the Google Sheets
How To Check Version History in Google Spreadsheets?
The steps to check version history in Google Sheets are as follows:
- 1st Step: Open the Google Spreadsheet where you want to see the version history.
- 2nd Step: Now click on the “File” tab and choose Version History from the drop down menu.
- 3rd Step: Version History sub menu will open on the screen. Now choose “See Version History” from the sub drop down menu.
- 4th Step: This will open the version history towards the right side of the screen.
Now you will be able to access who made changes, what changes were made, and at what point in time the changes were made in the Google Spreadsheet.
Shortcut to Access Version History in Google Sheets
Apart from the steps outlined above, one can quickly access the Version History by using the following shortcut method.
- 1st Step: Open the Google Sheets in which you want to access the Version History.
- 2nd Step: Now in the section above the menu bar, click on the link which says “Last Edit was at…”
- 3rd Step: This will open the version history towards the right side of the screen and from here you can access all the versions.
How To See Only Named Versions in Google Sheets?
We can also see only the named versions in Google Spreadsheets by following the steps as outlined below:
- 1st Step: Launch the Google Sheets where you want to view named versions.
- 2nd Step: Now on the homepage, click on the “File” tab and select “Version History” from the list.
- 3rd Step: The sub menu of Version history will open. Now choose “See Version History” from the drop down.
- 4th Step: Now the Version History window will open on the screen. Choose “Named Versions” from the drop down menu under the Version History drop down menu as shown in the image below.
- 5th Step: This will only show the Named Versions in the Google Spreadsheet.
How To Restore Version History in Google Spreadsheets?
It is time to learn how to restore past versions in Google Sheets now that you have discovered your spreadsheet’s version history and learnt how to identify the versions. To do so, go to Google Sheets’ version history window and choose the right spreadsheet version.
The next step is to go to the top of the website and click the big green button labeled “Restore This Version.”
You may also go to the right-hand version history pane and click the three-dot icon next to the version’s name. Choose “Restore This Version” from the drop-down menu.